Answer: Yes and No
Modern day Christians have enlisted few postulates in their Belief:
- Once saved, always saved.
- Deliberately committing a Crime without being penalized for the same.
- Future Sins are being atoned for, by Christ.
- Despite Idolatry, one can make it to eternal life in Heaven.
- Hell is meant only for Satan and his dark angels and not for mankind.
Yes: Once Saved is always Saved only in these Precedencies…
- You have Conviction:- God has given the free gift of Salvation but with it comes conviction of sins. Bible says in Ephesians: 2:8 ” For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift. ” You will be saved after Salvation only if you are convicted of your sins and repent to turn away from it.
- Have a Repentant heart:- King David committed a crime of adultery and a murder but he went down on his knees repented and pleaded for forgiveness in God’s presence. Bible says in Revelation 2:5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place
- Discern by Fruits:- Grace is not a Licence to Sin, it is a gift poured on us to be redeemed and contrite from our past sins and to prospect in our future. The one who has received Salvation can never assure a flawless life but will surely be convicted of his wrongdoings and return to God with a repentant heart. Such a person can be analyzed by their fruits of the Holy Spirit, not by gifts of the Holy Spirit.
- Never denounce Christ:- When I happened to interact with a reputed Baptist Church Preacher, I was taken aback when he said that after a mere Salvation Prayer, one can drift away from God’s ways, summon themselves to idolatry and still can enter Heaven, which is not true. Bible clearly states that Jesus is the only, Way, Truth and Life and no one can enter Heaven but through Him. Any sort of idolatry be your treasured possession or even money or your asset, which you idolize, it will lead you to destruction.
- Believe Hell is for Real:- Many claim that Hell is only for Satan and his Dark Angels and not for mankind, it’s true though, cause the fall of Adam paved a way to open Hell gates to sinners. Jesus Christ Himself mentioned about the torment in Hell in one of the Parables in Luke 16:23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. You will not be judged just by your faith or by being a luke-warm believer but your every act which glorified God and won souls for His Kingdom.
No: Once Saved doesn’t mean you will always be Saved.
- Taking Grace as a Licence to sin and deliberately do all evil things, sin and transgress God’s ways without a remorse or a repentant heart, your Salvation is questionable. If a person clings to his old path all his life, this is what the Scripture justifies about them in 1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us. When we come across such men who are deeply engaged in their sin and never turn back, they are the ones who were never Saved in reality, it was all a delusional life they lived. Salvation through Jesus Christ was not a MANTRA, wherein you blabber few statements without any sense or true atonement. Hebrews 10:26 states If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left.
- Yielding evil Fruits: Moreover, Word of God mentions in Matthew 7:16-19 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Once Saved, you can never assure about your righteousness, but you must have a contrite heart that brings you back to God’s feet. Exemplifying the Life of King David who committed adultery and murder but yet fell face down and reformed his ways. God chastises the ones whom He loves. Likewise in the Life of Samson who sold himself to promiscuous women, pleaded for the last time, though he faced the consequence of his Crime, yet God granted him his last request which redeemed God’s people.
- The Judgment seat of Christ: Many fantasize that Judgment day corresponds to some rewarding ceremony where they would be honored for their deeds and an audit for believers. But that’s horribly wrong. The truth is that we all have to stand before God and give an account for every word that steps out of our mouth Matthew 12:36 states “But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words, you will be condemned.”
Dear Readers, if you are still in a fallen state, turn back to the Cross, the Blood of Christ which redeems you. No matter how far you have been, and how sinful you would have lived your ways, the only way to be cleansed is through Jesus Christ. Don’t be a prey for Cheap Grace and Prosperity Gospel, rather analyze the truth and discern God’s will in your life.
God bless you all.